In 1945 the Caja de Habitación Popular (Popular Housing Fund) began work building 5,000 homes for employees and workers, which gave rise to this emblematic neighborhood. It was designed by the architects Sergio Rojo, Francisco Hurtado and Guillermo Geisse in different stages. Its construction included large green areas as well as libraries and theaters, which made it one of the most modern housing projects of the time. Between 1959 and 1963 the housing development agency, Corporación de Vivienda (CORVI) extended the neighborhood by three blocks, these being the final addition to the area the complex occupies to this day. It became famous for its capacity for organization and collective work throughout the military dictatorship, as well as for being the birthplace of prominent athletes such as boxer Godfrey Stevens and football player Francisco “Chamaco” Valdés.