At the end of the 19th century, the Padres Carmelitas Descalzos, a group of priests, settled on land that had originally belonged to Corregidor Zañartu. He had donated the land to the Monjas Carmelitas Descalzas, nuns of the same order. They welcomed the priests and ceded the land for the parish to be built. The structure was designed by the architect José Forteza and constructed by brother Juan Rufo de San José.
The stone foundation was laid in 1917 and its inauguration was in 1920. Materials such as reinforced brick, masonry and artistic stucco, all typical of the Neo-Gothic style, were used for its construction. The parish is intricately detailed and displays a variety of stained-glass windows, large oil paintings, religious statues and carved wood, as well as a German organ found on the second floor.
Without a doubt, its architecture is recognizable as a striking announcement that one is entering the neighborhood.