The story goes that one spring day in 1786, a vendor at the Plaza de Armas had one of his prints blown away by the wind in the direction of the old Cañadilla. The image landed on a tree, under which a mother catechized her children. A small grotto was constructed there, and it was revered as a miracle by the people of the Chimba sector. Some time later, the Bishop of Concepción Francisco José de Marán y Geldres began the construction of the parish in honor of the Virgen del Carmen. It was designed by Juan José de Goicolea and inaugurated in 1807. The earthquake of 1822 partially destroyed it, and it was rebuilt around 1890 by the French architect Eugenio Joannon. This Neoclassical-style structure is a Historic Conservation Property.