The religiosas del Buen Pastor, a group of nuns, emigrated from France to Chile in 1855, during the Manuel Montt administration. Although the congregation was entrusted with managing women’s correctional centers throughout the country, the Callejón Las Hornillas (known today as Vivaceta) headquarters functioned as a home for homeless girls, youth and working-class women. At this home women were taught various trades as well as reading and writing, all under strict religious instruction. The construction of the convent began in 1857 and that of the temple in 1862. The work was completed in 1871. It was designed by architect Eusebio Chelli, who also built the San Vicente de Paul chapel. Since 1982 it has served as the headquarters of the Las Rosas Foundation. It was declared a Historical Monument on September 29, 1989, under Decree Nº 490.